WELCOME TO ST. SEBASTIAN RELIGIOUS EDUCATION PROGRAM!
Our vision is that every child comes to know, love and have a personal relationship with our Lord, Jesus Christ in order to respond to the message of the Gospel.
Our mission is to help our children experience the presence of God in their lives; by learning who Jesus Christ is by the guidance of the Holy Spirit; by following the ways of Jesus Christ through stories, beliefs, symbols, traditions and prayers of our Catholic faith; and by developing their God given gifts and talents to serve others.
Our goal is to support the faith life of families, knowing that it is in the domestic church of the home that faith develops and is nourished. Because faith is “caught” more than “taught,” family involvement is central to the success of our Religious Education Program. Therefore, we will support and enhance the efforts of parents and/or guardians who share their Roman Catholic faith at home with their child.
RE Meeting Times
3 Year Old Preschool (must be 3 by September 1 & be able to use the restroom on their own).
4 Year Old Preschool (must be 4 by September 1 & be able to use the restroom on their own).
Young 5’S/Developmental Kindergarten
- Classes for the above grades are offered on Sunday mornings during the 10:30 AM Mass
- Classes are held in the Parish Hall.
- Drop off begins at 10:10AM.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have children younger than age 3, you may use our supervised NURSERY during the 10:30 Mass which is located in church.
Monday 6:00-7:15 pm
Tuesday 6:00-7:15 pm
Wednesday 6:00-7:15 pm
- Please choose the ONE night that works best for your family.
- Classes are held in the Parish Hall.
- Only the south entrance will be open for drop off and pick up.
2019-2020 Registration Form
CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW
Emails will also be sent to those who were in the 2018-2019 RE . Watch the bulletin, too!
THANK YOU FOR A GREAT YEAR! THE CHILDREN HAVE GROWN CLOSER IN THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH OUR LORD THROUGH THEIR STUDIES, PRAYERS, AND GOOD WORKS!
Blessing to you and your family for a restful summer!
Catechists-- Substitute Catechists
The work of being a catechist is truly God’s Work.
**If you feel God is nudging you and want to discern His call.
CATECHIST – The word catechist comes from the Greek word “echo”. Catechists are people who ECHO the Word of God.
Pre-School and Elementary students need the leadership of Christian adults who will guide them as they grow in their understanding
of themselves, of God’s love, His Church, and its mission.
Catechist Job Description:
• Teach one hour and 15 minutes each week (September-end of April)
• Approximately 1 to 2 hours of preparation time for each lesson
• Arrive at least 15 minutes before class to prepare the materials and set up classroom
• 10-15 minutes to clean up classroom and put things away after each session
• Complete a criminal background check
• Attend a Protecting God’s Children session before the start of the first class
• Read and sign documents from the diocese
• Attend scheduled catechist meetings
• Receive your Basic Catechist Certification within a year (8 hours of formation) and continue to keep certification up-to-date
Skills to be Used/Developed:
Catechists are called to prepare for this important ministry by acquiring the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to communicate
Gospel values and Church teachings effectively for different age groups. It is required that you be a worshipping person of faith by
attending Mass, participating in the sacraments, and making time for your own personal prayer. Additional qualities which are
helpful: leadership, patience, like to tell stories, ability to be a good listener, sense of humor (big time), flexibility, and enjoy being
around children. Materials are provided with supplemental materials in the resource room.
The diocese requires that our Catechists receive their Basic Level I certification by the first year. This is accomplished in a variety of
ways. Certification allows catechists to be formed in their own adult faith. You will have the opportunity to update and renew your
understanding of Catholic teachings in an adult context. It will give you greater confidence both in your ministry and your own
personal growth as a disciple of Christ.
Catechist for Sacramental Preparation:
Sometimes we need a catechist who would be willing to prepare a child(ren) for sacraments not received; such as reconciliation,
and/or communion. Materials are provided and you would meet with the child(ren) at a safe place and a time that works for all
The RE program is always in need of substitutes for all sessions. Catechists may become ill or other things arise. You might be called
in advance or last minute. Materials and lessons will be ready for you. Please consider being a substitute. Substitutes are a very
important component to this ministry.
If you would like to volunteer as a Catechist, Substitute Catechist or Catechist for Sacramental Preparation, please click the link and fill our the application form below.
We really need more substitutes for all grades!
You may also click on the link below, print and complete the form and return it to Debbie Mayer at the Parish Office.
Please contact Debbie@stsebastianmi.org or 616-878-1619 X102.
Classroom Assistants & Substitutes
You will need to bring a smile, enthusiasm and positive attitude. You are a role model for the kids and your
behavior is to reflect the values that we are teaching. It is required that you be a worshipping person of faith by
attending Mass, participating in the sacraments, and making time for your own personal prayer. Additional
qualities which are helpful: leadership, patience, an ability to be a good listener, sense of humor (big time),
flexibility, and enjoy being around children.
- For those in Grades 6-Adult
- Your job is to support the Catechist.
- As a classroom assistant you should participate in activities as much as possible; it helps the kids relate to you and sets a good example for them.
- This ministry entails one hour and forty minutes each class from September through April. Class is one hour and fifteen minutes, however, you will need to arrive about 10-15 minutes before class and will need to stay and clean up at the end of class.
- Depending on the catechist you are with, you might be asked to take attendance, help set up the classroom before class, encourage children to pay attention or behave themselves, prepare notes for absent children, help set up the room, make sure the room is clean before leaving, run copies, or help children with projects, among other things.
- If you are 18 years or older, you must attend a Protecting God’s Children session, complete a criminal background check, and read and sign documents from the diocese
Substitutes for Classroom Assistants
Please consider being a substitute. This is an area that we never have enough people. Classroom Assistants may become ill or other things arise. You might be called in advance or last minute.
If you are interested in becoming a Classroom Assistant or Classroom Assistant Substitute, please fill out the form below.
More questions? Contact Debbie at 878-1619 or email@example.com
Vacation Bible School 2019
Vacation Bible School
LIFE IS WILD….
GOD IS GOOD!
June 23-27, 2019
We do need more Crew Leaders and other helpers!! Please consider to helping during the event?
Would you like to help in the preparation of props for this event?
Would you be interested in volunteering as an assistant VBS director?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We are still in need of volunteers for this event. Please consider helping. Contact Debbie to see where help is still needed.
To register you child for VBS Click on this link for each child that will be participating-this is page 1 click link under this one to complete page 2 2019 Child VBS ROAR Registration Form
AND here is PAGE 2 of the form:
Click here to fill out a family information sheet for all your children attending 2019 Family VBS Page 2
There is no fee this year thanks to our Knights of Columbus! They will be covering the $10 fee for each child this year. If you wish to help donate items or help prep items, please contact email@example.com.
Please Note: Our Preschool & Pre-K children are in a separate rotation from the K-5 children. Preschool-grade 5 will be together for the opening and closing, however.
Preschool/Pre-K program is limited to 25 children.
K-5 is limited to 110
Children's Liturgy of the Word
This program is available from Mid-May-August
WE NEED YOU!!
If interested in being a leader or assistant-please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Children’s Liturgy of the Word
during the 10:30am Mass
Children’s Liturgy of the Word is for children
ENTERING Kindergarten-Grade 2 THIS SEPTEMBER, 2019.
Children will be dismissed after the Opening Prayer to follow the leaders to the LAMP room. There, they will continue the Liturgy of the Word by listening to the readings and talking about them on their level. Children will be returning to their seats during the offertory.
Parents, just a few notes…
- Make sure your child knows where you are sitting so it is easy for them to return to you at offertory.
- Make sure your child has used the restroom before Mass begins.
- The only thing they may bring with them is their offertory to place in a basket that will be in the room.
- Remind them that even though they are leaving at this time, they are still in Mass.
If you have any questions or would like to volunteer, please contact email@example.com.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
If you are not able to volunteer in the classroom, there are still many ways to help make our Religious Education a success!
8 Ways to Help Our
Elementary Religious Education
1. DONATE CRAFT ITEMS ~ Craft items are used within the classroom, for First
Reconciliation & Eucharist projects, our Family Mardi Gras event, Family Advent night, and
other misc. events.
2. DONATE FOOD OR DRINKS ~ for special occasions.
3. TAKE PHOTOS ~ We’d love to have memories of our special events, class photos, etc.
4. PREP ITEMS AT HOME ~ There are many times items need to be traced, cut, glued,
stapled, etc. You can take them home to do and then return them to us.
5. LEAD A SPECIAL SESSION ~ It would be so nice for the children to see other St.
Sebastian members sharing our faith with them. If you have a favorite saint to talk about,
lead us in rosary, etc. please let me know and we can schedule a time for you to come and talk
with the children.
6. PLAN SERVICE PROJECTS ~ Help put together service projects for the children to
7. PLAN SOCIAL ACTIVITIES ~ Help put together events for families to do.
8. ORGANIZE ANNUAL EVENTS ~ Looking for people to help plan our Family Advent
Night, Family Mardi Gras Evening, and Easter Egg Hunt
If you are interested in helping out in this way, please complete the following:
You may also print out the following and return to the St. Sebastian Parish Office.
You will be contacted after sign up. If you have any questions, please contact Debbie Mayer 616-878-1619 or firstname.lastname@example.org.